A Direct Support Professional supports individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities to be as independent and productive as possible in their daily life and to be meaningfully integrated into the community, including ongoing engagement with their family. A DSP is responsible for providing support, positive direction and assistance in accordance with the NADSP Code of Ethics and the OPWDD DSP Core Competencies, as well as with program policies and procedures and personal outcome measures.
Essential Job Duties:
- Exhibit professional, ethical, respectful and trustworthy behavior in all situations.
- Support each individual’s health and wellness as outlined in their Person Centered Plan (PCP), demonstrating knowledge and understanding of their medical/dental, physical, nutritional, psychological, behavioral, social, emotional and spiritual needs
- Support individuals with all areas of personal hygiene/care, as needed (ie. bathing, dressing, incontinent care, feeding tubes, etc….) and with their activities of daily living.
- Maintain accurate and meaningful documentation records for each individual (including but not limited to – meal intake, medical monitoring, medication administration, program data, t-logs, behavior notes, etc.) utilizing the electronic medical record (Therap).
- Demonstrate effective methods to promote positive a behavior, which recognize the individual’s strengths and teaches new skills, while supporting their unique capacities and enhancing their self-confidence and self-advocacy.
- Obtain and maintain all required certifications for the DSP role, including site specific nurse delegated duties, in order to perform job effectively.
- Support the individuals to live in a home of their choice that is safe, clean and comfortable and in meeting their educational and/or employment goals
- Support the individual’s participation and inclusion in the community, including ongoing engagement with their family.
Minimum Degree Required: High School Diploma/GED
Minimum Experience Required: None
Required License/Registration/ Certification: NY State Driver’s License